Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Beauty for Breast Cancer

Okay, it's officially Breast Cancer Awareness month and since I'm not really involved in any one breast cancer org, I'll be offering up a selection of my favorite breast cancer initiatives for the month. My first choice is the Prive Products 2008 Mammogram Campaign. As annoying as it is to hear, early detection really is fundamental in saving lives. For me, I caught it when it was just crossing from Stage I to Stage II. My course of treatment would not have changed because of my BRCA status, however, for non-BRCA women, early detection is even more important. (As an aside, have you noticed the commercials for the BRCA test? Talk about progress! Genetic testing ads on TV. Who would've thunk it? Natch, the whole genetic testing thing is controversial, but your grandmothers who died from BC would approve, I'm sure.)

Anyway, one out of eight of YOU will get breast cancer. That is an inescapable fact. So let's say out of 40 of my girlfriends, four others aside from me will have to fight this nasty thing. Therefore: Go get your fucking mammograms already, bitches! Seriously. If not for yourself then for your families and friends.

Soo, back to
Privé. Participating salons will reward you for getting a mammogram; click here to enter your zip code and find a salon near you. If you've had a mammo within the past year or are scheduled to have one before Oct. 31st, you may sign up here to receive a complimentary treatment at the salon. I love this project because it not only gives women incentives for their diligence to their own health, but because it reinforces my message that breast cancer, despite all it's ugliness, can still be beautiful. Additionally, for each unit of Privé's Thermal Protection Detangling Spray, $1 will be donated to the Expedition Inspiration Fund for BC research. I bet the spray is great for wigs too, as I've learned you have to be very delicate when brushing them.

So I hope you guys will look into this. Yours truly will be getting her first post-chemo haircut at the Miami Priv
é very soon! I haven't posted pics lately of my hair, but it's a big ol' hot mess right now. And, despite my prayers to the hair gods, it's growing in curly. Back to the Japanese straightening in a few months.

And remember ladies: The 40-year-old thing is a steaming heap of bullshit. You need to have your first mammogram at age 35. If you have a family history, you should go at 30. But given the people I've met in the cancer community, it's never too early. Remember how I told you that my chemo nurses once treated a 16-year-old for BC? Well, that could be your daughter, sister, niece, cousin etc. That's all. I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Actually, I take that back. I'm not done trying to scare you into action. Perhaps these previous posts and photos may do the trick.